SHAW WANTS SENIOR RETURN AFTER U23S CAMEO

FOOTBALL NEWS


22/08/2017 09:07, Report by Mark Froggatt

SHAW WANTS SENIOR RETURN AFTER U23S CAMEO

Luke Shaw has declared himself fit and ready to make a first-team return at Jose Mourinho’s request, after a successful comeback from injury with Manchester United’s Under-23s on Monday.
The 22-year-old left-back had not played in any sort of match since damaging ligaments versus Swansea City at Old Trafford last April, but he gladly made his return to action at Leigh Sports Village as Ricky Sbragia’s youngsters secured a 1-1 draw, coincidentally against the Swans' youth side.
Shaw played for 59 minutes on Monday and so too did Ashley Young, who had also been side-lined through injury since picking up a serious hamstring problem in last season’s UEFA Europa League semi-final, first leg tie at Celta Vigo in Spain, rendering Monday an important night for the duo.
“I’m feeling really good and I only push on from here,” a smiling Shaw told MUTV after the final whistle. “I’m looking for the first-team spot now, I’m going to keep pushing, and when the manager needs me I’m going to be ready. Whenever that is, I’m really looking forward to it. I’d rather it was sooner rather than later, but I’m feeling good and whenever I’m called upon, I’m ready.
“I was very happy to get an hour tonight – it was very important for me and for Ashley to get the minutes after the rehab we’ve had. It was a very positive 60 minutes – me and Ash both feel good. I feel very good and hopefully I can push on now, keep myself fit and get stronger and stronger.”
'IT IS ALWAYS AWFUL WATCHING'
Shaw admits it has been difficult to sit in the stands as an injured player and watch his senior United team-mates in action, particularly at the end of last season when the Europa League trophy was lifted in Stockholm, Sweden, and also over the last fortnight with the start of a new Premier League campaign.
Nevertheless, Luke is delighted to see the team playing so well and he can’t wait to get back on the pitch with them. “It’s always awful watching because you want to be out there. But the lads have been really impressive and deep down it comes from the manager and his tactical stuff that we do in training which seems to be working. Everyone’s buying into it and working hard on the training pitch to do what he wants us to do. The lads are looking really good and now I’m going to be pushing to be back up there with them.”
YOUNGSTERS LIFTED BY YOUNGY
Ashley used his personal Instagram account to reflect on the beneficial outing, posting an image from the game with this message to his followers: “Felt great to be back, it has been a long few months!”
Young's presence among the young players also provided a shot in the arm for Sbragia’s prospects, according to Shaw. “I’m grateful to have been playing first-team football for four years now, so I’ve got experience, but we had the likes of Youngy in the dressing room with way more experience than me. He’s been through it all and knows everything for the young lads in the dressing room.
“You could tell on the pitch and even inside that he was great for everyone. It was great for morale among the young lads to be around Ashley, with the way he is vocally, and what he does on the pitch, which is so impressive. He’s someone for them to look up to.”
WHAT'S NEXT FOR LUKE?
United welcome Leicester City to Old Trafford on Saturday in what is the final senior match before the impending international break, and it appears unlikely that Shaw will be involved in that game. However, the manager has previously stated that he expects the defender to return in September and that is likely with seven first-team fixtures to fulfill in the top-flight, UEFA Champions League and Carabao Cup.

EXPLORE MANUTD.COM

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url