RECAP OF JOSE'S PRESS CONFERENCE

RECAP OF JOSE'S PRESS CONFERENCE
That's all from me for now, but here's a handy graphic which illustrates the manager's key points. See you tomorrow!
CARABAO CUP DATE SET...
Away from Jose's press conference for a moment - the date has been set for United's Carabao Cup third round tie with Burton. The Brewers will travel to Old Trafford on 20 September, and the game will be broadcast live on Sky Sports.
JOSE ON ROONEY'S INTERNATIONAL RETIREMENT
"He told me the night before,” Jose admitted. “I am nobody to tell him agree, not agree, to do it or not do it, just listened to his reasons and I understand his reasons. He does it for Everton, he does it for his family, so I have no complaints. I just realise, like many other people, when he retires, you realise how many matches he played, how many goals he scored, what he represents for the football in this country and many congratulations for his career with the Three Lions."
MOURINHO ON CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW
"I think it's a dangerous group and, if you go to the recent history of United, United lost against Basel, United couldn't beat Benfica in two matches, I think also against CSKA Moscow the last time was 0-0 or 1-0 or something. I know the three places, I never played against Benfica in the Champions League but of course, I know the dimension and the quality. I played a few times against CSKA, I played against Basel too, I know the places. It's not going to be easy."
"A VERY DIFFICULT MATCH"
“[Leicester’s] game against Arsenal ended with a defeat but could have ended with a victory,” said Jose. “At home, they won comfortably [against Brighton last weekend], midweek [against Sheffield United in the Carabao Cup] they changed their whole team and they won very comfortably with players that probably, some of them they are not even going to be on the bench tomorrow. So, I think they are back to their normality and, for me, their normality is a very difficult match for us tomorrow."
MOURINHO ON LEICESTER
"I think they are the same team as they were two seasons ago,” Jose admitted. “Are they going to be champions again? Honestly, I don't think so because there are many teams that I don't think all of them are going to fail. But I think in terms of their qualities, I think they are the same team and they are playing exactly the same way they played before.”
16:01 BST
MARTIAL IS BLESSED WITH TALENT
“I think when you have some talent, you cannot waste it,” Mourinho said of Martial. “I think when you're blessed with some talent, you have to fulfil that talent, you have to explore that talent, you cannot be happy just with glimpses of talent. I want more from him because he has all the qualities for that. But I think he understands me better too and the personal relation [between us] is good, so again Anthony, I hope he's going to better this season than last season."
16:01 BST
MICKI UNDERSTANDS ME
"I think Henrikh [Mkhitaryan] understands me, and to be honest, I understand him because in the beginning of the season if he understands me better, he would have started better,” Jose continued. “But at the same time, if I understand him better, I would probably help him in a faster way than I did. But, we spent our time together, working together, learning about each other. The second part of last season was good for him and I believe, with his talent, that this season is going to be even b
JOSE HAPPY TO HAVE IBRA BACK
“I'm really happy that he's with us,” Mourinho revealed. “Because [it] shows two things for me – it shows me the dimension of the player and the dimension of the club. The dimension of the player because it would be very easy for him to say goodbye, to say it's enough, one European competition, had success at Manchester United, big injury, goodbye. He doesn't do that. He wants to follow his other dreams and he wants to play football at the highest level.” 
16:00 BST
WHEN WILL ZLATAN RETURN?
“I don’t want to think about it,” Jose said. “I just think he will be an extra man for us in the second part of the season. But I have no idea at all and I think the right way is not even to think about it, to speak about it and just let him do his work, step by step and come back when he's really ready."
16:00 BST
INJURY UPDATE...
The manager spoke to MUTV before his press conference and he gave an update on the fitness of Luke Shaw, Ashley Young and Marcos Rojo, read what Jose said in full here.
15:59 BST
NOT LONG NOW...
Mourinho's press conference has begun, and we will bring you updates on it from 14:00 BST.
POGBA LANDS UEFA AWARD
Away from the Leicester game again for a moment, Paul Pogba has won the inaugural UEFA Europa League Player of the Season award for his role in his helping United win the trophy.
FOUR REDS IN ENGLAND SQUAD
Meanwhile, yesterday Marcus RashfordJesse LingardPhil Jones and Chris Smalling were named in England's squad to take on Malta and Slovakia in next month's World Cup qualifiers. 
INTERNATIONAL CALL-UPS
Today, four Reds were named in their respective countries' squads for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Marouane Fellaini and Romelu Lukaku have been included in Belgium's squad to face Gilbraltar and Greece, Daley Blindhas been called up into the Netherlands squad for their matches against France and Bulgaria, and David De Gea has been named in the Spain squad for his nation's ties versus Italy and Liechtenstein.
THE BIGGER PICTURE
Heading into the clash with Leicester, ManUtd.com's Adam Higgins has taken a look at what a win for United would mean in the grand scheme of things, especially with the international break just around the corner.
REDS PLACED IN GROUP A
And the final news from yesterday - United were placed in Group A in the Champions League draw, pitting Mourinho's men against Benfica, Basel and CSKA Moscow.
ZLATAN'S NEW DEAL
It was also confirmed on Thursday that Zlatan Ibrahimovic has penned a new one-year deal with the Reds. Read the full story here.
UNITED TO FACE BURTON
It was announced yesterday that Jose's side will begin the defence of their Carabao Cup trophy against Burton Albion. Do you remember the last time we faced the Brewers?
MATCH PREVIEW
Ahead of this weekend's game against the Foxes, we have rounded up everything you need to know into one handy match preview. Have a read!
JOSE SPEAKS TO MUTV
Shortly before the press conference, Mourinho will sit down for an exclusive chat with the club’s channel MUTV and we'll also post team news from that in this blog.
MOURINHO'S PRESS CONFERENCE
Hello and welcome to ManUtd.com's live coverage of Jose Mourinho's press conference ahead of United's Premier League game against Leicester City at Old Trafford on Saturday evening. You can read updates on this page and via @ManUtd from 14:00 BST.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url